Florida Slip and Fall Attorney
A slip and fall accident can cause serious long-lasting injuries. Recovering from those injuries can be challenging enough; however, if the insurance company responsible for covering your expenses denies your claim or unreasonably delays payments, it can increase the challenge and seriously hamper your recovery process.
Knowing who to contact for help and what steps to take following a Florida slip and fall accident can make a significant difference in your recovery. With that in mind, we have put together the following guide for those who have been injured in a slip and fall accident.
What Should I Do after a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident while on someone else’s property, the owner or occupier of that property may be liable for your damages. To ensure that you are protected after a slip and fall accident, take the following steps:
- Assess your injuries and get a thorough examination. The nature of a slip and fall accident increases the risk of spinal injuries and traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Because it can take hours, even days, for the symptoms of a spinal cord injury or TBI to become obvious, you should have a thorough medical examination done to prevent further injury.
- Notify the property owner or manager. If your accident occurred at a business, they will likely have an official procedure for reporting injuries. Make sure your accident is documented and request a copy of the accident report when you are able to do so.
- Document the accident. If your injuries allow, try and document the scene of the accident by taking photos with your cell phone. In addition, obtain names and contact information of any witnesses to the accident and the owner/manager to whom you reported the accident.
- Contact the insurance company. Contact the insurance company as soon after the accident as possible and open a claim. Beware that the insurance company may try to get you to accept a token amount of money to release them from further liability. Do not agree to an early settlement.
- Follow up with all recommended medical treatment. It is critical both to your health and to your insurance claim that you follow up with all recommended medical treatment following a slip and fall accident.
Do I Need a Florida Slip and Fall Accident Insurance Claim Attorney?
In a slip and fall accident, the liability insurance provider for the owner/occupier of the property is typically responsible for paying expenses related to the injuries suffered in the accident. When the insurance company pays the claim in full and in a reasonable time period, it makes the process relatively simple.
Sometimes, however, an insurance company will deny, delay, or underpay a claim. If that happens to you, it is time to consult with a Florida slip and fall accident insurance claim attorney. An experienced attorney will review the insurance policy as well as investigate the damages caused by the accident and attempt to negotiate a full and fair settlement on your behalf. If the insurance company continues to refuse a fair settlement, your attorney will present your claim to a judge or jury and advocate on your behalf in court.
Will I Need to File a Lawsuit?
The fear of having to appear in court and go through a trial often prevents injured victims from seeking legal advice and assistance. Most slip and fall accident claims are resolved without the need to file a lawsuit. However, having an experienced Florida slip and fall accident attorney advocating for you can make the difference between not receiving a fair settlement and receiving the settlement you want. Furthermore, if your case does require litigation, your attorney will be prepared to go to court and win a fair award for you.
How Much Will a Florida Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Cost?
Injured victims often worry about hiring an attorney because of the cost involved. The good news is that a slip and fall accident attorney will not charge anything upfront. Instead, your attorney will work on a contingency basis and only receive a fee after you receive payment for your claim from the insurance company.
Where Can I Get Help with My Slip and Fall Accident Claim?
If you have been involved in a Florida slip and fall accident and the insurance company is refusing to pay your claim in full, we can help. Call us at 407-500-1000 or submit our online form today. One of our experienced Florida slip and fall accident insurance claims attorneys will explain your rights to you and discuss your legal options at no cost.